Monday, September 18, 2006

Blufr: Defining what the word "is" means...

This should be pretty short. Via Lifehacker I was directed to what sounded like a fun little time waster called blufr. Billed as "Bruising your ego one bluf at a time." Now let's be clear, I'm not a person who hates to be wrong. In fact, I generally look at it as a learning experience and like to get new information that makes me rethink a previously held belief. But I was instantly turned off by what I would consider a large assortment of cheap questions.

For example. my first question was "Lemmings generally throw themselves off of cliffs." To which I answered "No way!" (their version of False). This turned out to be wrong, as some Lemmings due to poor eyesight do occasionally fall off the side of a cliff. Even by the most liberal definition of the phrase "throw themselves off" could possibly include accidentally falling, I still couldn't imagine a scenario where you could describe that as "generally". I hoped that this was a one time thing, but just about every question followed this pattern.

A good riddle/brain teaser should be apparent after you know the answer. You should say to yourself, "Damn! I should have known that." Blufr just makes you feel like you've been scammed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home